Philip Ottaviani's Blog
There's no question about it: Aging can be a mixed blessing -- especially if you're not prepared for it! Although aging does bring with it some advantages -- the most notable one being wisdom -- a certain amount of physical decline is inevitable.
Staying active and leading a healthy lifestyle are two ways to slow down the aging process, but there's another key element many people overlook when planning for their retirement years: eliminating tripping and slipping hazards in the home. Whether you're concerned about your own wellbeing or that of aging parents, here are several steps you can take to reduce the risk of injury from accidental falls.
- Install or secure stair railings: While most homes are equipped with stair railings, they may eventually become loose, wobbly, or even detached. Making sure that all stairways have easy-to-reach, securely fastened railings can make life at home safer for everyone.
- Stair safety tips: Slippery stairs (indoors and out) may need to have adhesive safety strips applied to them to help improve traction. If freezing temperatures are ever an issue for you, it's always helpful to have a small, easy to lift bag of rock salt on hand to melt icy walkways and stairs. Even though you may live in a warmer part of the country, temperatures do occasionally plummet to 32 degrees and below, so no one is immune to cold snaps and occasional freezing conditions in winter --even Floridians! Here's one cautionary tip that relates to basement stairs: For some reason, perhaps because of inadequate lighting, people (of all ages) sometimes take a tumble when they don't see the bottom stair. If this ever happens in your home, you may need to either make the lighting brighter and/or apply bright tape or paint to the bottom stair to make it more visible.
- Reduce slipping hazards in bathrooms: Bathtub and shower floor surfaces can get pretty slippery when soap, shampoo, and water are added, so the use of non-slip rubber mats or safety appliques can help prevent potentially dangerous falls. Installing grab bars in showers and bathtub areas can make life easier and safer for aging residents or visitors in your home, too.
- Remove clutter from floors and stairs: This objective can be more challenging when you have children who leave toys, books, balls, clothes, spilled liquids, food, and other miscellaneous things on the floor. However, when you have seniors trying to safely navigate their way around the house, keeping clutter and spills to a bare minimum is essential. That also holds true for minimizing tripping risks from cable wires, extension cords, and throw rugs.
If you're considering remodeling all or part of your home to accommodate either your needs or those of aging relatives, many experienced contractors and remodelers are well versed in products and strategies for making a home more senior friendly or handicapped accessible.
When you think of selling a home, you may picture the conventional home sale where you hire a realtor, and the house is listed along with open houses held. An off-market listing keeps your property off the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) so that it’s not accessible to many home buyers.
What’s The Advantage?
The off-market listing provides a feeling of exclusivity. This attracts only the most serious of buyers and allows a less stressful selling process for the seller. Sellers can expect to get at least the asking price for the property. How does an off-market listing work?
Celebrities tend to sell with off-market listings. Doing so helps their properties to stand apart from the mainstream real estate market. Buyers who are part of an off-market listing can feel as though they are part of an exclusive club that few can access.
Regardless of how high the price of a home is, selling a home off-market can be easier for many reasons. You can sell a home to a relative or friend without having to go through the hassle of listing it. In hot markets, you or your agent can mention that the property is for sale to a few key people in the area. From there word may get out that your home is being sold, but no formal marketing is being done.
Don’t Be In A Hurry
Off-market listings are not for people who need to sell their home quickly. As a seller, you want to see how much interest there is in the property, so this could take some time. You’re trying to attract buyers who are in a particular market, not just a group of buyers an agent has been in contact.
Networking Is Important
Since the listing isn’t advertised anywhere, word of mouth and the right network is important. You need to pick the right agent to help you with an off-market listing. This person should be seasoned in luxury real estate and have an extensive network who they can reach out to.
Privacy Is Bliss
If you don’t feel the need to have a big “for sale” sign out in front of your home, an off-market listing is for you. If you don’t want people to know you’re moving and hope to keep your decision to sell on the down low, it’s a great option.
From the benefits of privacy to the strong possibility that you’ll get a better return for your property sale, off-market listing are a great choice, especially for luxury homes.
Lot 10 Gikas Lane, Marlborough, MA 01752
For home sellers, it is important to take a close look at every room in your house, including your living room.
Although your living room has served as a great place to relax and hang out with family members and friends, you'll want to invest time and resources to ensure this space offers a warm, inviting vibe. By doing so, you may be able to enhance your living room's appearance and boost your chances of a quick home sale.
What does it take to revamp a living room? Here are three tips to help home sellers transform an ordinary living room into a comfortable space:
1. Establish a Color Scheme.
Your living room colors ultimately could make or break a homebuyer's impression of your home.
For example, if your living room includes calm, relaxing hues, it may help homebuyers feel at ease the moment they enter. Or, if your living room features bold, vibrant colors, it may add energy to the setting's décor.
Determine a color scheme that offers the ideal mix of style and sophistication. This color scheme should make your living room pop; at the same time, try not to use colors that are overly dramatic or take away from the setting's ambiance.
When in doubt, use warm or cool hues to bolster your living room's appearance. These hues likely will complement any home's décor and will improve your chances of making an unforgettable first impression on homebuyers.
2. Select Stylish Flooring.
Flooring may make a world of difference in how homebuyers view your living room, and for good reason. With the right flooring in place, you'll be able to make your living room a comfortable and enjoyable space, one that will generate plenty of interest from homebuyers.
A solid wood floor may prove to be a great choice in your living room and could give the space a natural look and feel. Comparatively, carpets are soft and durable and come in a wide range of patterns to help you take your living room décor to new heights.
3. Rearrange Your Furniture.
What good is a living room if visitors cannot easily converse with one another? Show homebuyers the true potential of your living room by arranging furniture in a way that promotes conversation.
Pull your living room couch, loveseat and other furniture away from the walls and have them face one another. This will help give your living room an intimate appearance, one that may enable your living space to leave homebuyers with a distinct impression of your residence.
Discovering the best ways to enhance your living room could prove to be time-consuming. Fortunately, hiring a real estate agent may help you streamline the process of transforming your living room's appearance from drab to fab.
A real estate agent will conduct an in-depth home assessment so you can better understand your residence's strengths and weaknesses. Plus, this professional will offer tips to help you improve your living room's appearance in no time at all.
Dedicate the time and resources to bolster your living room's appearance, and you may be able to reap the benefits of a quick home sale.
More Info on this Property | New Listing Alerts